Potato Tomato Coconut Masala
By fluffernutter on May 17, 2007
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hrs
- Servings: 4-6
About This Recipe
“Our neighbors in England were vegetarians who were moving toward a vegan diet. Melissa was a great cook — if you’re vegan, you’ve gotta be a good cook — and she adapted this recipe from Madhur Jaffrey’s “World of the East Vegetarian Cooking.””
- 3 medium boiling potatoes
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole dried hot red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 lbs Tomatoes, peeled and diced ( or a 16- to 20-ounce can tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Peel and dice potatoes and put into a bowl of cold water. Sauté the garlic in oil for a few seconds, then add the pepper pod and cumin seeds and sizzle for 3 seconds. Lower the heat and add the coconut; cook, stirring, for 15 seconds.
- Drain the potatoes and add to the skillet along with turmeric, ground cumin, tomatoes, salt and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and vinegar. Cook, uncovered and stirring, for 1 minute.