Vegan Rajma Chawal (Kidney Bean Curry)
By Ex-Pat Mama on January 29, 2012
- Prep Time: 7 hrs
- Total Time: 7 hrs 30 mins
- Servings: 4
About This Recipe
“This is another wonderful recipe from Manjula.com. It is gluten-free, sugar-free and vegan – totally appropriate for the 21 day Quantum Wellness Cleanse. If you want to use canned beans rather than soaking your own, be sure to double the amount to at least 3 cups of beans.”
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans, raw
- 6 cups water
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot
- 1 green chili pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium Tomato, for garnish
- Rinse the kidney beans thoroughly, then soak for at least six hours in six cups of water.
- Cut the tomatoes, garlic and chili into small pieces and then process in a blender or food processor – I used my hand blender.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Test to see if it’s hot enough by tossing in one cumin seed. If the seed cracks immediately the oil is ready. Saute the remaining cumin seeds for about a minute. Add the tomato mixture, and all the spices EXCEPT the salt.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until the oil separates from the mixture and rises to the top.
- Add in the soaked and drained beans, the salt and 3 cups of water. Place the cover on the pressure cooker and secure. Cook over medium high heat until the cooker starts steaming.
- Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the cooker from the heat allow the pressure to reduce on its own.
- When the pressure has all been released, open the pan and lightly mash the kidney beans. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped tomato.
- Serve with rice.